Codeine Linctus is a cough syrup that helps to ease dry, tickly coughs. It reduces the urge to cough, leaving you feeling free from irritation caused by a persistent cough. Ideal for those suffering from a dry cough and looking for an effective solution. Codeine Linctus is also available in a sugar-free syrup.
A dry or tickly cough is a cough that doesn’t have any mucus in it. Irritation in your airways creates the tickly feeling that makes you want to cough, and this will usually pass within a couple of weeks. Some of the most common causes of coughs include:
- Upper respiratory tract infections, e.g. cold and flu, laryngitis, sinusitis, whooping cough
- Lower respiratory tract infections, e.g. bronchitis, pneumonia
- Allergies or hay fever
- Long term conditions, e.g. asthma, chronic bronchitis
- Inhaling dust or smoke
Codeine Linctus contains 15mg of the active ingredient codeine phosphate in each dose. Codeine is a painkiller which can also be used to ease dry, tickly coughs by soothing your throat. It works by changing the way your body responds to irritation or itching, reducing the urge to cough and stopping the cough at its source. Stopping the cough gives your throat the time to repair itself, helping you to lose that cough more quickly.
Do not take this product while you are breastfeeding, as the codeine in this product can pass to your baby in your breast milk. You should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking codeine linctus or any other medication while you are pregnant or breastfeeding. This will help you to be sure that your medicine is safe for you and your baby.
Codeine Linctus should not be taken at the same time as some other medicines, as they may interact. These include:
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs), which are antidepressants, e.g. Isocarboxazid (Marplan), Phenelzine (Nardil), Selegiline (Emsam)
- CNS depressants, e.g. chlorpromazine, diazepam (Valium)
- Anticholinergics, e.g. oxybutynin
- Neuromuscular blocking agents, e.g. atracurium
- Hypnotics and sedatives, e.g. sleeping pills
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you are taking any other medication, so you can be sure that they are safe to take together. cough syrup for sale
Can I drive after taking this medicine? where to buy cough syrup
Codeine linctus can make you feel drowsy or sleepy after you’ve taken it. You should not attempt to drive or use machinery or tools until you are sure that you are not affected in this way. dry cough
Can I drink alcohol while I’m taking this cough medicine?
You should not drink alcohol while taking codeine linctus, as it can make you feel drowsier or sleepier than you would otherwise.
Take 1 x 5ml spoonful up to 4 times a day. Leave at least 4 hours between each dose and do not take more than 4 doses within any 24 hours. Do not take more than the recommended dose. Elderly or weak patients may need the dosage to be reduced.
You do not need a prescription for Codeine Linctus, however, you will be asked to complete a short medical questionnaire by your Chemist 4 U pharmacist before we can take your order. This includes some simple questions that all pharmacies legally are required to ask before supplying this kind of product. This helps our pharmacy team to be sure that this product is the best choice for you. Buy cough syrup online
Why can I only buy one bottle of Codeine Linctus at a time? Buy care plus
A maximum of one bottle will be supplied with each purchase, multiple purchases made within a short space of time will be rejected. This is because codeine linctus should only be used for a short period, as taking codeine over a prolonged period can cause addiction. If you find that you need to use Codeine Linctus for a prolonged period, speak to your doctor for advice. buy thc vape carts online buy thc vaporizer online juul pods for sale cannabis oil for sale juul pods near me order juul pods online
Codeine Linctus is not suitable for use by children under the age of 18. Do not use this product if you are allergic to codeine, morphine, or any of the other listed ingredients. This medicine can cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not attempt to drive or use tools or machinery until you are sure that you are not affected by this medicine in this way. Do not use Codeine Linctus if you:
- Have liver disease or severe kidney problems
- Have shallow breath or breathing difficulties
- Have a head injury or persistent headache
- Have an asthma attack
- Have previously had a blocked bowel
- Have previously had an addiction to medicines containing codeine or morphine
- Know that you metabolise very rapidly codeine into morphine
- Have previously had a bad reaction to codeine (are a known ultra-rapid metaboliser or codeine)
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you:
- Have liver or kidney problems
- Have a history of asthma or other breathing problems, including bronchitis
- Have low blood pressure
- Have irritable bowel syndrome or other bowel problems
- Have abdominal pain
- Have myasthenia gravis (a disease of the muscle)
- Have an underactive thyroid or adrenal gland problems
- Have gallstones or bile duct problems
- Have prostate problems
- Have problems passing urine
- Have an irregular heartbeat
- Have fits
- Are suffering from shock
- Are elderly, as you may react differently to the medicine
Codeine Linctus should not be taken at the same time as some other medicines, as they may interact. For a list of which medicines you should not use with this product, please read the patient information leaflet carefully.
Like all medicines, Codeine Linctus can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. These side effects include:
- Signs that a high amount of morphine is being produced in the body, e.g. slow or shallow breathing, confusion, sleepiness, small pupils, feeling or being sick, constipation, lack of appetite
- Feeling or being sick
- Dizziness or vertigo
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling unwell
- Muscle twitching or stiffness
- Disturbed sleep
- Difficulty passing water
- Dry mouth
- Facial flushing
- Fluid retention, e.g. swollen ankles and feet
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Feeling faint when standing up
- Slow, shallow breathing
- Low body heat
- Mood changes
- Feeling restless or confused
- Pinpoint pupils or other problems with eyesight
- Abdominal pain, including pain caused by inflammation of the pancreas or bile duct problems
- Ureteric spasm causing stomach or lower back pain
- Low sexual urge
- Allergic reactions, e.g. itching, rash
- Elderly people may experience incontinence, diarrhoea, stomach pain, blocked bowel
- Prolonged use may worsen irritable bowel syndrome
- Prolonged use may lead to addiction, dependence or tolerance (where the medicine loses its effect)
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or pharmacist right away. For more information about reporting side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this medicine
Store in a cool, dry place that is below 25 degrees C. Keep out of sight and reach of children. Store in original packaging and out of direct sunlight. Do not use after the expiry date printed on the packaging has passed.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist-4-U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area.
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here
If you are concerned about addiction of ‘over the counter’ medication we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice
- NHS Help & Advice on Drug Addiction
- Talk To Frank – Codeine Addiction Help